Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hawaiian Getaway

Mark and I spent 2 days in Utah after our California Christmas before we set off for Hawaii for another 10 days! I know, we have a tough life and I bet you wouldn't want to wear our shoes. Oh well! We're just lucky that we had saved enough PTO to take the trips!


We went to Hawaii for my brother Jared's wedding. Since the Laie Temple is closed, we had to go to the Big Island for the wedding. The hotel we stayed at was great! There was an outdoor restaurant that stood on pillars only and had water running all underneath it. It was very very nice!

It was amazing, there were turtles everywhere!


While we were there the surf was really big, so we weren't allowed to go in the water (I tried and got yelled at by guests and staff, it was really irritating, but I'm trying to forget that dark mark on our stay and remember just just wonderful aspects).

The wedding was at the Kona Temple. On our way to the temple I realize that I didn't have my temple recommend! What?! So it took half an hour until I was actually able to get in. At least I made it on time and we got to be there. whew!

My family with my new sister!

While Jared and Lisa were taking their pictures, we got to play with my nieces. My niece Mckenna is so afraid of Mark, it's ridiculous. For one brief glimmer, Mckenna and Mark actually had a moment of mutual friendship. And the best part is we got it on film!

"I want to see the horses" - Mckenna
"You can't go by yourself, someone has to take you." - Dad
"Who?" - Mckenna
"Uncle Mark!" - Everyone

Smiles!

Duck Duck Goose - over and over and over!

When everyone else left to go back to Oahu to get the reception ready, Mark and I were still in Kona! We had to check out of the hotel, and we had half a day still left before out flight. What to do?! Mark found a Hawaiian temple online and wanted to drive to it. Since I grew up in Hawaii I didn't think much of it, but Mark thought it was going to be some huge Pyramid... I have no idea why he thought that. Anyway, it was a good hours drive all the way up the island, through Hawaiian lava rock dessert and no good radio stations. When we finally got Mark was confused. Is this really it? Where's the temple? It was hilarious! Of course I had to take a picture of him with his Hawaiian temple.


Yup, that's wall of stone is the temple.


They had a little visitors center and one of the interactive things there was this stone. This stone that Mark is lifting would have been just one of the thousands of stones that make up the temple. They made a huge human chain from the water (where the stones were) to the temple and passed this huge stones until the temple was complete. I could only lift the small stone.

On to Oahu!

No comments:

Post a Comment